Is My Perception of the Pharmacy Job Market Wrong?

March 25, 2016 • Pharmacy Careers • Views: 5707

Some of my readers here at The Honest Apothecary know that I also write articles for other pharmacy-related organizations and websites.  Maybe no article in recent history has stirred up so much interest at the article I wrote on the pharmacy job market for one of my favorite pharmacy publishing partners, Pharmacy Times.  I’m a big fan of the articles and information available from these folks.

Anyway, my article about the pharmacy job market has gotten significant attention.  If you want to read the article, you can find it here:

Steep Drop Seen in Pharmacy Job Market Indicator

I’m writing this post to just encourage my fellow pharmacists to read it, discuss it, and talk about it online.  If my conclusions are way out of line, then I respectfully hope to be corrected.  If the perceived job market in your area of the country is GREAT…I would love to hear about it and share this optimistic news with the rest of my readers and social media connections.

A criticism of the ADI is that the data is subjective.  This is true.  But subjective data is important too, especially when it might be all we have.  So what is your subjective impression of the job market where you live?  Do you get the feeling that pharmacist jobs are relatively available for otherwise qualified candidates?  Is your company struggling to find qualified candidates at the moment?  Are they having to shell out big bucks to recruiters and staffing agencies to track down and dig up applicants for positions?

I really want to know.  I’m curious if my perception is wrong.  It might be.  I hope that at this stage in my life I’m still not so immature as to be above correction.

Is it possible that pharmacists are exaggerating their difficulty in finding a job?  Maybe.  Is it possible that the only candidates that are unemployed or underemployed are those who lack some important skills related to doing their jobs well?  I suppose.

So, here is my request.  READ THE ARTICLE…and share your thoughts with others here.  Leave a comment.  Shoot me an email.  Tell me what’s on your mind.  I’m happy to interact politely with those who strongly disagree with me.  I’m more interested in truth than in winning a battle of words.

Tags: , , ,

Author: Jason Poquette

8 Responses to Is My Perception of the Pharmacy Job Market Wrong?

1. YadaYada says:

Turnover in chain retail is high. All it takes is a clean drug test to get a job. Though the market is saturated enough that the chains can be more selective than a few years ago. Sign on bonuses are long gone. Pharm staffing agencies have to be hurting as I haven’t heard of one being needed in quite some time. Used to be a daily need in at least a store or two. They are putting in the contract that you have to be willing to be PIC if called upon. <——because no one in their right mind would voluntarily do it. The independent pharmacists are holding on to their spots with iron grips. They hear us talk about the suicidal retail life. Hospitals won't hire without clinical experience because they don't have to anymore. It should get much worse too as the mass Pharm.D mills are just now churning out their grads. My personal feeling is that the future is pretty hopeless. I would get out if I could. I'll be riding this train off the cliff.

2. muttinenisudeer sudeer says:

Nice and Interesting Article

3. Joseph Burnside says:

Better to go into business for yourself. More opportunities exist than working for chains and hospitals. Be creative- go into a specialized niche’.

• Enzo Leka says:

THE JOBS OPORTUNITY AND THE RESPECT PHARMACIST DESERVED WILL BE CREATED ONLY IF ENOUGH AMERICAN PHARMACIST WILL UNITE AND PROTEST WASHINGTON TO STOP GRANTING THOUSANDS OF “H 1 B VISAS” THE BIG CHAINS AND BIG CORPORATIONS ARE SECURING THEM BY THE THOUSANDS !!!! PLEASE HERE IS THE LINK TO PETITON CONGRESS TO ABOLISH H 1b WORK VISAS

4. Rajesh P says:

Your article was well written and observations correct

5. ENZO LEKA says:

There is not enoght jobs for Pharmacists because no one is looking at the AMOUNT of H-1 B Foregn visas … the biggest companies that employ pharmacist secure thousands of work visas and is crowding the job market in USA every year !!!!! You can thank the politicians in washington they are not doing nothing about this and the H 1 VISAS HAVE BEEN ABUSED FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS OR MORE !!! leaving a lot of american born pharmacist with out jobs and or oportunity after graduation… the bring foregin pharmacist by the thousands every year !!! and no one is doing anything about it !! that is why is hard to find work !!!! seems like there is no a collition strong enoght that should ask the politicians to STOP GRANTING THE BIG PHARMACY COMPANIES foregin H 1 b FOREGIN VISAS THEY KEEP ASKING FOR MORE FOREING VISAS !!! WHY ??? THERE IS ENOGHT TALET IN USA ….. THEY WANT TO BRING THEM PAY THEM A LOW SALARY AND INSALVED THEM FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS !!! no brake no lunch !!! and just filling machines at low pay !!!!

6. ENZO LEKA says:

HERE IS A LINK TO SEND A PETITON TO CONGRESS TO CHANGE THE LAW IN ORDER TO SAVE AMERICAN PHARMACIST JOBS

Abolish H1B Visa program
    6,401 Messages Sent So Far

H-1B program is flawed beyond repair. It should be abolished in favor of something smarter. Corporations have no place being immigration middle men. Immigration is about something much more pure and sacrosanct than corporate profits. It needs to be abolished in favor of permanent immigration as opposed to corporate sponsorship. Immigration should be limited to 5% of net job gains each year. In years when we have job loss, It should be restricted. Off course there will be more people would applying than we have openings for. Then acceptance should be based on first come first serve basis. The case is about economics and national interest, and has nothing to do with race. The reason H1B visa holders are so easily exploited is because of corporate sponsorship. Green cards in sustainable numbers would make them equal players in the labor market. An H-1B visa amounts to second class labor and corporate sponsorship gives companies leverage against American workers wages and salary. This hurts American workers directly and it hurts us as a nation indirectly.